Channing Tatum just pulled his upcoming directorial debut from The Weinstein Company

October 19, 2017

Channing Tatum is the latest actor looking to cut all ties with The Weinstein Company (TWC). Posting to Facebook, he revealed that he’s pulling the plug on a film he had in development with the company in the wake of the numerous allegations of sexual assault and harassment against cofounder Harvey Weinstein, who was fired from the company last week, and most recently, Bob Weinstein.

Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Channing Tatum is the latest actor looking to cut all ties with The Weinstein Company (TWC). Posting to Facebook, he revealed that he’s pulling the plug on a film he had in development with the company in the wake of the numerous allegations of sexual assault and harassment against cofounder Harvey Weinstein, who was fired from the company last week, and most recently, Bob Weinstein.

In his statement, the Magic Mike actor and his producing partner Reid Carolin to voice their support for the numerous women speaking out against Harvey Weinstein, calling the women “heroic” and “courageous” in coming forward.

“The brave women who had the courage to stand up and speak their truth about Harvey Weinstein are true heroes to us,” they said. “They are lifting the heavy bricks to build the equitable world we all deserve to live in.”

The brave women who had the courage to stand up and speak their truth about Harvey Weinstein are true heroes to us. They…

Posted by Channing Tatum on Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The two went on to reveal they were no longer moving forward with a film they had in development at The Weinstein Company.

“Our lone project in development with TWC— Matthew Quick’s brilliant book, Forgive Me Leonard Peacock— is a story about a boy whose life was torn asunder by sexual abuse,” Tatum and Carolin wrote. “While we will no longer develop it or anything else that is property of TWC, we are reminded of its powerful message of healing in the wake of tragedy.”

Forgive Me Leonard Peacock, which was reportedly set to be Tatum and Carolin’s co-directorial debut, follows Leonard, a teen who has plans to kill his best friend and then himself, after experience sexual abuse at the hands of said friend.

Tatum and Carolin are just the latest to back out of projects at TWC. Earlier this week, David O. Russell, Julianne Moore, and Robert De Niro released a joint statement announcing they wouldn’t be moving forward with their new series at Amazon, which would have been produced by TWC. The beleaguered company’s other Amazon series from Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner will reportedly continue without TWC’s involvement.

Tatum and Carolin ended their statement hopefully, writing that they’re hopeful that the Weinstein scandal brings a genuine change regarding sexual assault and harassment in Hollywood. The wrote, “This is a giant opportunity for real positive change that we proudly commit ourselves to. The truth is out— let’s finish what our incredible colleagues started and eliminate abuse from our creative culture once and for all.”

We’re so glad Tatum and Carolin are taking a stand in refusing to work with The Weinstein Company. We’re also hopeful that the scores of brave women coming forward and speaking out about their own experience with sexual assault and harassment will cause a serious change in Hollywood — and all industries.

Article Categories:
Trends

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Free WordPress Themes